This page has moved to a new address.

Banned: To Kill a Mockingbird

Wheelock College Library: Banned: To Kill a Mockingbird

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Banned: To Kill a Mockingbird

Quite possibly my favorite book of all time, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee has been challenged, banned, and removed from school libraries and reading lists numerous times for its racial themes and language. As recently as 2009, it was removed from secondary schools in a district in Canada because of parent objection to the use of a racial slur.


This book is one of the few assigned reading titles that stayed with me, and I find myself picking it up over and over again. In fact, I am overdue for another read. But I have my own copy, so if you haven't read it, you can check out the 50th anniversary edition recently added to Wheelock's collection.


-- Allyson Harper-Nixon

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home